This morning, as I toasted and peanut-buttered my english muffin, I caught a segment on the Today Show about the “5 foods your kids should be eating.” Well, I’m still somebody’s kid, really everyone is, so here you go . . . eat this:
1. Salmon – good brain food!
2. Beans – besides burritos, hummus is a great way to get beans into your diet and a good way to mask veggies!
3. Oats – this suggestion inspired me to bake this afternoon (read below), but they can also be used to replace bread crumbs in recipes.
4. Egg Whites – pure protein!
5. Spinach – I’m really excited to try making spinach burgers. Last night for dinner I had a spinach side dish from Safeway on a few bread dippers.
These turned out surprisingly light. I might use these mammerjammers as breakfast or a mid-morning snack to tide me over until lunch. Two cookies have approximately 100 calories and pack some long lasting oat-energy! Mmm!
I had a strong 6.5 mile run today. I cheated and used a treadmill, but it was just that kind of day. I’m looking forward to later this week, when the weather is projected to improve. Running in the rain is no fun, but I GOTTA GET OUTSIDE!